Catching up with Corrie.

Hello!  My name is Corrie, and while I’m more than a bit late to this party, it’s been both interesting and enlightening to go through and read the posts and links you’ve put on here since the class started.  I am relatively new to Alaska, having moved here just 11 months ago, but I really love living in this great state.  I’ve wanted to move to Alaska for a number of years, and when I met Larry Meath at the ATP Job Fair in 2013 I decided to give UAF’s School of Education a try.  It’s been a busy and eye-opening year as I work on my student teaching and my Master’s of Education.  I didn’t know much about North Pole, AK when I was assigned to North Pole High School, but it has turned out to be a great internship placement.  I’m doing a dual certification in physics and math, but I am also teaching two sections of Earth Science.  I have a pretty diverse background; I studied both astrophysics and anthropology.  Teaching science and math in a cross-cultural context seemed like a great way to combine my skills and interests, so like many other people, I headed north to The Last Frontier!

This was my first winter living in Fairbanks, and it went quite a bit better than I expected it might.  It probably helps that it was such a mild winter (for Interior Alaska).

This was my first winter living in Fairbanks, and it went quite a bit better than I expected it might. It probably helps that it was such a mild winter (for Interior Alaska).

Corrie and Thermo

I’m doing my student teaching at North Pole High School. One of my students took this after we’d finished reviewing some Thermodynamics concepts in Physics.

Corrie and Mt. Redoubt
Last fall I got to attend a conference at the NASA Challenger Learning Center down in Kenai. It was really interesting, had lots of great teaching ideas for Earth Science, and I got to go down to the beach to watch the sun set behind the volcano Mt. Redoubt.

2 comments for “Catching up with Corrie.

1. tumi
    April 2, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Good to see you here!

2. Bennett
    April 2, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Hey Corrie! Good to see you here!