Alaska Gold Rush

In the midst of so many gold rush shows on television, I figured I would hook kids into a lesson with some history of what started the shows and how the price of gold has changed. This chart is a very accessible way for students to see that the reason Felix Pedro started prospecting in Fairbanks is still a means of making a living here today. There are plenty of families that own mines and bring back quality gold to be assayed just like there are plenty of people employed by the Kinross Gold Corporation.

the-worst-gold-chart-of-all-time

http://www.explorefairbanks.com/explore/gold-rush-history/

3 comments for “Alaska Gold Rush

1. aewhitaker
    September 27, 2013 at 11:34 am

That a neat graph. Its amazing how much the gold price chances so often.

2. pamela
    October 6, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Awesome idea and excellent graph!! Not only that, but because the prices have risen to what it is now there are many areas that are going back to areas that were already mined before because now it pays enough to make mining the smaller flakes worth it!!

• pamela
      October 8, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Sorry about the terrible grammar in the comment above! I seemed to repeat myself! Areas that were mined for gold in the past had lots of gold nuggets and lots of smaller flakes, but the smaller flakes were passed up due to the cost worthiness not being there(too much time for too few payouts). In the present however, because the price index has risen to be so high, now mining the smaller flakes is worth it 🙂 Therefore areas previously mined for gold are to some extent being remind again! Hope this makes more sense now!