Dr. Kaden Introduction

Ute

Dr. U. Kaden

Welcome to ED 694. As your instructor it is my goal to create an active open cyber-learning community to exchange ideas and share resources on the topic of science teaching. I work since 2008 for the School of Education at the University of Alaska in Fairbanks. My other teaching experiences include places like Germany, New Zealand, UK, and TX. My fields of expertise are in science (geoscience/physics) /mathematics education. I am actively promoting all fields of STEM education, duel enrollment options for students, and value an integrated approach to teaching. Flying gliders, travel, and photography are some of my hobbies. I  believe that all students can learn and that learning is an useful,  lifelong,  creative  and deeply human activity.

19 comments for “Dr. Kaden Introduction

1. Evan Raber
    August 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Hi Uta, this is Evan Raber. I am down here in Ketchikan teaching at the middle school, in math. I hope this is the appropriate area to post. Thank you for all you help and I am looking forward to possibly getting highly qualified in science.
    Evan

• ukaden
      August 31, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Outstanding! Congratulations Evan. I am wishing you a great start as teacher for the school year 2010-2011. I will miss traveling to Nome this year :). It was always good seeing you teaching there. I am especially proud of you that you had the endurance to finish the teacher prep-program from this distance in such a good quality. Welcome to the Masters program.

2. Ashley Hutton
    September 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Hello all – I imagine that I am talking to many a former classmate. 🙂 I am teaching on Prince of Wales Island, which is a ways west of Ketchikan. I’m teaching physical science, biology, chemistry, and Alaska natural science at Craig High School. So far it is going pretty well, I do have one quite difficult class. I am traveling up a steep learning curve and I’m tired! Anyway, I will be teaching earth science as part of my physical science classes. Hello to all.
    Ashley

• Dr. Kaden
      September 2, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Cool. Welcome to our class. You have an interesting teaching load. Looking forward to hearing more about it. Post some photos from your Island. Good luck.
      U

• Emily Samargo
      September 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I didn’t realize you were going to take this class, but I’m glad. Take it one week at a time. Craig is luck to have you there!

3. Karl Kowalski
    September 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Greetings everyone,

I am a retired elementary teacher, tech coordinator, tech director and am currently Director for User Services for the Office of information technology here at the University. I love science, always incorporated science into all my teaching. I am keeping my teaching certificate alive and needed recency credits. This class looked very interesting. It also give me a chance to evaluate our distance education classes and pilot an eTextbook.

4. Dr. Kaden
    September 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Welcome. I am glad that you pilot the e-book and some other gizmos as we go.
    Thanks and greetings to all e-support people at UAF.

5. September 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Hi everyone. I am in Tanana teaching secondary science: Life Science, General Science, Computer Science, PE, Keyboarding and Industrial Technology. I have been here for a month and am acclimating well. I am looking forward to adding to my bag of tricks, particularly since I will have a geology unit in my general science class and I like to integrate other fields into my Life Science classes whenever possible. -Rob

• Emily Samargo
      September 6, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Rob,
      I’m glad I’ll be able to follow you a little through this class in your first year of teaching.

6. Dr. Kaden
    September 3, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Hi Rob,
    Welcome to the class. Your teaching schedule is very colorful. Your students will have an excellent teacher, I am sure about this. Good luck

7. Rev Orion
    September 5, 2010 at 11:37 am

Hello,
    My name is Rev and I am the ISS teacher at Service High School in Anchorage. I also have an art class that I teach 1st period. My degree is in Biological Sciences and I am certified to teach secondary art and science. I enjoy learning geology and earth science and there are many glacial erratics on campus and throughout the trail system in Anchorage. I think it would make for some good placed based activities. I am excited about this class because if I have life science and physical science, I would be more useful and qualified to teach anything in jr. high and more things in high school. I am on track to complete my Master’s in Ed. in May. I have a 12 year old son who a few of the classmates know. He is now attending Mears Middle School here in Anchorage.

• Emily Samargo
      September 6, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Rev,
      Glad to read about someone else out there who has an interest/background in science AND art. I love teaching both subjects and using “both sides of my brain”.

8. Nichole Glaze
    September 6, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hello All,

My name is Nichole Glaze. I am a science teacher at Barnette Magnet School in Fairbanks. We have grades K to 8 at Barnette and with being a magnet school, our schedule is a bit different. Students stay with their “core” teacher in the mornings then rotate classes in the afternoon. I teach grades 4 to 8 in the afternoon and usually teach one topic per quarter. Right now I am teaching a class on waves (mechanical and electromagnetic waves). Next quarter I will be teaching a class space, then onto earth science in the spring. I get to work part-time which allows me more time with my 15 month old son.

• Nichole Glaze
      September 6, 2010 at 2:44 pm

IMG_2105.JPG

• dawn
      September 7, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Your classes sound really interesting! A whole class devoted to waves- cool!
      I can’t wait to hear more.
      -Dawn Ell Fitzpatrick

9. Emily Samargo
    September 6, 2010 at 3:06 pm

My name is Emily Samargo. I am an under-employed science and art teacher. I am qualified to teach biology, art, chemistry, and earth science. After studying for my earth science praxis this summer, I remembered how much I love geology. I would love to teach earth science, but I think it could be challenging to come up with exciting labs to keep students engaged. I am looking forward to this class because I know it will provide resources for hand-on activities.

10. Denise Thorsen
    September 6, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Ute,

Thanks for including me in your class. As an introduction to the rest of your class, I am faculty in Electrical Engineering at UAF and the Alaska Space Grant director. I’m looking over Ute’s shoulders to discover how is it that K12 teachers do what they do and what support Alaska Space Grant can provide to help connect engineering concepts to the Alaska Science and Math standards. Ute is also showing me how an online class can be successful. I hope to learn a lot this semester.

11. dawn
    September 7, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Hello all! I think I posted my introduction in the wrong place…..but it’s on the home page. I don’t have a lot of photos so you all got a wedding photo from 2 years ago. Nice to see some familiar names- Rev and Emily. I’m looking forward to a new semester!
    -Dawn Ell Fitzpatrick

Comments are closed.