Tectonic Plate Movement in Alaska

http://www.teachersdomain.org/resource/ean08.sci.ess.earthsys.aktectonic/

This is a short video which was adapted from KUAC-TV and the Geophysical Institute at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.  It shows how mountains, volcanoes, and earthquakes in Alaska result from plate tectonics.  I would use this to emphasize that plate tectonics is a phenomenon that directly affects the students lives.  I might ask which of the students has been to Wrangell St.Elias National Park and have one or two describe their experiences there.

2 comments for “Tectonic Plate Movement in Alaska

1. Bethany
    October 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I like this. I try to emphasize to the students how relevent plate tectonics is to their every day lives frequently. Last year it was really cool – we had an earthquake during class conveniently close to when we were studying plate tectonics…

2. bsjohnson
    October 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I like that this is a nice and concise video that explains the basics in relation to where our students live. It would be good to show this as a review at some point through the Unit, once the students have a context and understand the terminology and concepts about plate tectonics a little better.